Q: How Do I Become a Stephen Minister?
A: Those who wish to become a Stephen Minister must:
- fill out the application (either electronically or print and turn it in)
- have an interview with Stephen Leaders
- complete the 50 hours of training that takes place over the course of about 4 months.
Q: What Does It Look Like To Have A Care Receiver?
A: After training is completed we'll pair you up, one Stephen Minister with one Care Receiver (men with men, women with women), and you'll meet with them once a week for about an hour. Care relationships can last between 2 months and 2 years.
Q: What Do I Have To Know In Order To Become A Stephen Minister?
A: The main qualities that we look for in Stephen Ministers are a:
- caring heart
- listening ear
- growing relationship with Christ
- proven trustworthiness
We believe that Christ is the cure giver, as we're the care givers. We:
- don't fix anyone
- are not licensed counselors
- are not spiritual directors
- are not certified life coaches.
- don't sit across from our Care Receivers and preach to them
Stephen Ministry is mostly about:
- simply just being a trustworthy presence in the life of someone who's hurting
Q: How Will I Be Supported As A Stephen Minister?
A: Every month we have Supervision Groups. This is a group of Stephen Ministers who get together and have facilitated discussion about how their care relationships are going as well as a time to bring up challenges and issues that Stephen Ministers may be facing. Our Supervision Groups are great places of care and support for Stephen Ministers as we care for others. We'll also include some continuing education topics during Supervision Group nights.
More about Stephen Ministry - click here